Thursday 16 October 2014

Black & White + One Proposal

  1. How can I express the theme Black and White + One through photo-based artwork?
I came up with a few ideas for what the + One could be representative of; my favourites being movement, focus and effect. Movement: capturing a motion of some kind in a still or a series of stills. Focus: having one particularly detailed/focused image/object in the photo. Effect: Isolating one section of the image and applying a mask layer with an effect. I decided to basically merge focus and movement but I decided to exclude the effect idea, I figured it would be odd when paired with a black and white image.
The idea of motion made me think of city streets, trains and generally traffic. So I thought to convey the theme Black and White + One (Movement) I would do a series of images in metropolitan areas showcasing the motions of the space. There is so much meaning in motion as well as in the concept of black and white as being representational of something greater.


2. How can I explore using the medium of photography in a way that stretches my current knowledge and understanding AND suits my interpretation of the theme?

Photography is not really my strong suit and I often have trouble getting my photos to consistently have high detail and so I decided to look for a photography technique that would allow me to use blurs or distortion artfully. My first photo inspiration was a motion-blur image of a pair of dice which led me to a photography technique that seems to most commonly be called Long Exposure Photography.  
The motion blur suits my theme of movement having greater meaning. For example one of the ideas I’m exploring is foreign/out-of-place objects in settings with high movement backgrounds to highlight life moving on around them/without them.








No comments:

Post a Comment