Tuesday 20 January 2015

Visual Identity Written

My personal brand “Leatherwing Designs” was designed to convey a fun, cartoony kind of vibe while still maintaining some professionalism for a company. My company is intended to be a design company because that’s where my interest and skill set rest. The purpose of my company is intended to be for commercial advertising and marketing design/campaign. I want my company to give the idea of smooth and fun design, complete with pieces in a variety of colours and styles.


For my logo I chose to create a simplistic dragon image. To do this I used fairly smooth cartoony lines and restricted the colour palette to three colours to keep it simple and smooth, I also avoided shading for this reason. I chose to keep the image dimensionally flat-looking to help retain the idea of a comic drawing or illustration. The lines are singular and connected, I wanted to avoid a sketchy look and I wanted all the pieces to be connected because I think that excess lines take away from the professionalism and that when lines don’t connect it appears distant and unfriendly which wasn’t the feeling I wanted my company to exude. My dragon image is anchor-shaped because I find that it draws the eye that way, the entire shape fits into a circle smoothly and each wing (plus the tail) point out and draw the eye along the logo. The anchor shape also makes it easy to incorporate images “above” the dragon in the sense they can be placed behind it’s head but in front of it’s tail to give the impression that something in that space is interacting with the logo instead of just being next to or on top of it.
I designed my stationary by putting a line-only watermark of my logo in the background so that it would be obvious but not obtrusive. There is also company contact information in the top left corner so that is the first thing you see when you read through the paper.



I chose to keep most of my merchandise related to graphic arts. I designed a USB key, a mouse pad and a tablet sleeve which are all things you might use in graphic design and as such are relevant to my company which is why I chose them. I also did a line of clothing (a sweater, a shoe design, a tote bag and a drawstring bag) because fashion design is something I haven’t really gotten to try yet and would really like to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment