Wednesday 23 October 2013

Movie Trailer Parody Assignment





Sherlock Holmes is one of my favourite movies and I chose it because I've seen it a bunch of times and already had a few ideas about how to mix it up. The assignment was to drastically change the theme of the movie and since Sherlock Holmes is an action/comedy film I decided to make it a romance/comedy by playing up the relationship between the main characters and using certain lines I remembered out of context. My main goal was to imply a “bromance” or homosexual relationship between the lead characters. (Originally I had intended to just build on an actual relationship from the film but there wasn't enough clips to pull it off smoothly enough.)

To help change the mood I added a new underlying soundtrack (Falling For You by Colbie Caillat) which was much more suited to a romance than an action film. The song is a love song and I chose it because it had a beat that had similar "lifts" to the original soundtrack, which made it easier to sync up with some of the clips. I chose to avoid sound effects as the ones in the movie were too harsh to fit my new theme and the available substitutes in iMovie were a bit too cheesy for my liking and didn't add anything to the video.

My aim was to change an action movie trailer into a romance movie trailer and I think reviewing the end result the trailer definitely doesn't feel like an action film any longer. The music and the clips help to mimic the feeling of a quirky but loving relationship full of adventures and albeit plenty of bickering. To me the trailer seems to have really changed thematically and despite the fact that most of the clips are from one or two trailers of the movie being portrayed as an action flick they can still convey the idea of a romantic comedy when you mix them up and change the music.

You can view the original trailer here:




No comments:

Post a Comment